Can Essential Oils Help Your Child Focus?
Did you know that in the United States, 8 million adults and 6.4 million children (ages 4-17) have been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)? ADHD is defined as a chronic condition where symptoms include attention difficulty, hyperactivity, and impulsiveness.
Medication seems to be the route that many parents choose for their children, but besides the fact that many ADHD medications are Schedule II drugs, they are also highly addictive.
ADHD Medication Side Effects
As with any medication, side effects are also a big concern. Long-term side effects of taking stimulant ADHD medication include:
- Damage to the brain, especially blood vessels
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Slurred speech
- Liver & kidney damage
- Slowing of growth in children
- Eyesight changes or blurred vision
- Psychological dependence
Essential Oils for ADHD
Essential oils are plant-based therapeutic compounds that can be used medicinally to combat many health threats, including ADHD. They are small enough molecularly to cross the blood-brain barrier which make them an excellent choice to support learning, focus and overall brain health.
Here are the essential oils I recommend to anyone dealing with ADHD:
- Vetiver – this oil promotes deep concentration. A study by Dr. Terry Friedman showed vetiver oil was able to increase performance levels by 100%! The study also showed that vetiver, along with cedarwood, is very effective in improving focus and calming down children with ADHD.
- Cedarwood – shown to improve focus and clear thinking.
- Rosemary – has been linked to improved memory and brain function.
- Ylang Ylang/ Lavender – creates a calmer mind and more relaxed state.
And here is how I recommend using essential oils for ADHD:
- Diffuse 2 drops of cedarwood and 3 drops of vetiver at homework time or in the office.
- Diffuse 5 drops of Ylang Ylang or Lavendar at bedtime for calmness and rest.
My Maximum Brain Function Blend: Use a roller bottle with 10 drops of vetiver, 8 drops of cedar wood, 8 drops rosemary (then fill rest up with fractionated coconut oil) and swipe on the back of the neck or on the wrists when headed off to school or work.
Roller Bottle Blends for Kids
Want more? Check out my video on Essential Oils and Kids where you will learn how to make these essential oils roller bottle blends for:
- First aid
- Teacher’s gifts
- and more!
Be sure to watch the whole thing so you’ll even learn about my super special ‘Candy Store’ essential oil blend that your kids will LOVE (without the sugar of course 😉)
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.